Just a little something to collect my thoughts. Just a little place to be real. Life is sweet. Life is hard. And life is everywhere in between. This is where i share pieces (sometimes very raw) of this journey that is my life . . .

Monday, November 20, 2017

Getting familiar

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I moved to California. Im not sure what I had in my mind when I moved here as to what it would be lie but I can tell you it is exactly how I imagined and yet completely different. Being a kid of the flat lands of Texas, the varied topography of this area is amazing to me. When I first crossed the state line into California there were these amazing sand dunes. Not something I ever thought would intrigue me but these massive piles of sand somehow pulled at the heart strings of the kid inside me. Like a giant sand box! Then for what felt like forever was nothing! Flat, smell farmlands. And then the mountains . . . In regards to landscape California is probably the perfect place for me. I see the ocean from the mountains and can be between the two in a matter of minutes.

But upon first arrival I could only glance briefly at the mountains surrounding me because I was a bit nervous driving on these narrow roads where steep inclines and descents were met with sharp curves. Where trucks had to slow to 20 mph and ride their brakes and others were driving 70 with little regard to the reality around them. I was somewhere in the middle but focused on what I could not see ahead.

As I settled and began to work and learn the area I assimilated into the chaos that is California traffic and driving with little though and maybe a little easier than I should have. But it was on a late night drive home from work that I realized the lesson in these drives. I hate not knowing what is ahead because I am a planner and preparer. Frankly the net twelve steps would be good but combine dark with the steep mountain roads that most of the highways even include and its enough to make me a little apprehensive. As I took this high bridge to get onto the 94 that night and was driving slower than I normally would with this apprehension my attention was drawn to the situation and how it might mirror my relationship with god. I know this road leads somewhere and all signs indicate it heads to where I need to go. I know that people drive it every day without incident and yet I find myself extra cautious. WHY?!? Because I don’t know this particular road that well in addition to pretty much every road here. At this point I had only driven it a couple of times. But I found myself in a personal pep talk saying the more you drive it and get to know it the better it will be. And sure enough I am on week two and back to passing people on this particular bridge as well as others. My roommate asserts I picked up on California driving too quickly!

But on that night in this “Strange town” God showed me something about my relationship with him. Its a road that is scary to me and not well travelled. Maybe I have looked at the map a bit and pictures. Seen other people go over it with no problem. But the only way to grow and become more comfortable with its very necessary role in my life is to spend as much time with God and learning who he is practically. Only then will I be able to incorporate him into my life daily with such a great need for that.

I dont think too much about that bridge anymore because I have spent a lot of time there and its safe. Now I must spend time living and walking with a God consciousness so that I know he is safe and trustworthy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment